What you eat and do not eat will directly affect the condition of your teeth during orthodontic treatment. Here are some tips from our orthodontist in Lexington, KY on what kinds of foods you should avoid and how to carefully enjoy some of your favorites.
At times, it is difficult to break and chew certain foods. Eating hard foods can be harmful during orthodontic treatment because they can bend or break wires and even displace brackets. Avoid them entirely after you have had your wires changed, since teeth are the most tender at this stage.
Tips for eating hard foods:
- Fruits are an essential part of a balanced diet. If you want to eat apples, pears and peaches, do not directly bite into them. Instead, cut them into small pieces before consuming.
- If you enjoy eating almonds, cashews or peanuts, consider grinding them and adding them to cereals and yogurt.
- While eating chicken wings or ribs, remove the bones before consuming your meal. This prevents you from accidentally chewing on a bone and dislocating a bracket.
- While eating corn, remove the kernels from the cob to help prevent damage to your braces.
- Avoid chewing on ice. You can suck on ice cubes but never bite them.
Sticky and Sweet Foods
Sticky foods can get stuck to your teeth and braces, and can even result in the braces getting pulled off. Sweet, sugary foods are high in sugar and their consumption can lead to tooth decay.
Tips for eating sticky and sweet foods:
- If you enjoy eating candy, try sucking on them instead of chewing them. Be sure to rinse your mouth with water to avoid sugar buildup on your teeth.
- Avoid chewing on gum. Gum can stick to braces and may be difficult to clean. It can also loosen the wires and brackets.
As always, it is best to eat a nutritious diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. Avoiding soda, candy, and other sugary and acidic foods can help prevent tooth decay and keep you healthier overall. Contact our orthodontics office in Frankfort, KY for more helpful information or to schedule an appointment.
Buchart + Wachs Orthodontics
698 Perimeter Drive, Suite 200
Lexington, KY 40517